Monday, November 5, 2012

Postpone the Apocalypse! Go Vote!

I make it a point to keep my politics separate from my work. Sure I  have my own set of beliefs, biases, ideals, and interests and they will always influence my writing. There is no way around it. These are things intrinsic to who we are and they shape everything that we do. But, I take care and make it a point not to thrust my political views upon anyone. I write to escape, to entertain, to thrill, not to lecture or sway. I may pontificate from time to time, but not to convince you that you are wrong and I am right.

But voting is not a partisan issue. I don't care who you vote for, just make sure that you do it. It is a far greater thing to vote and lose knowing that you participated than to sit idly by and let choices be made for you.

I know, I know. I can hear you now. "The system is broken." "One vote doesn't matter." "All politicians are full of shit." Yes, yes, I know. Trust me I know. I come from a teeny tiny state with only four electoral college votes and on top of that, they can split the vote. Yes, I am familiar with the feeling of insignificance.  But that is not the point.

The point is standing for something, no matter how hopeless, and taking responsibility for yourself. The day that we start relying on others to make the right decisions will also be the day that we lay out the red carpet and herald in the apocalypse.

Think of a post apocalyptic scenario. Pick one. Zombies. Plague. Nuclear war. Aliens. Whatever floats your boat. You have that vision? Now, what kind of government is there? Where are the polling stations? How many parties are there?

Huh? What's that you say? You see warlords, dictators, rule by the biggest gun and survival of the fittest. But what about the elephants and the donkeys? Gone you say?

Do you know why they are gone? Because people have given up. The dead walking the Earth? Big deal, that's a bad day, maybe a bad decade. Nuclear fallout? Yea, that's a bad century, maybe a bad millennium. But none of these scenarios become an Apocalypse until all hope is lost and we given up trying to survive.

I know what you're saying. "Fischer, you're crazy. You can't compare not voting to giving up on survival."

But here is my answer to you. If you don't have the fortitude to stand in line for ten minutes to check a little box to stand up for what you believe in, how the hell do you think your going to be able to stand up against a horde of undead trying to eat your face?




GO VOTE! 





No comments:

Post a Comment